Challenge: A scavenger hunt is a game in which an organiser prepares a list outlining specific items which the participants in the game need to find. The goal is usually to be the first to complete the list! For our scavenger hunt you will need to follow a series of clues, find the correct information in order to move on to the next question and complete the challenge. You may only use the three resources listed below in order to find your answers. Our objective is to create a 3 generation family tree.
Try and keep your searches simple. Look carefully and examine each census return thoroughly. Remember to note names, ages, places of birth.
For our challenge can you begin by looking at the
1911 census for
1. Can you find the only woman in the household? Who is she, where & when was she born?
2. Can you find out when she got married?
Name of Groom __________________________________________________
Date & Place of marriage __________________________________________
Groom’s Father ___________________________________________________
Bride’s Father ____________________________________________________
3. Can you now find her in the 1901 Census?
What address is she living at and who is she living with?
4. Can you find out when she was first married? *Hint use freebmd for your search*
Vol__________ Page_______ Maiden name:__________________
Have you seen this name before, if so where?______________________________
5. Can you find this marriage recorded again? Where?
If so, what further details can you find out? ________________________________
6. How many children did she have?______________________________________
What was the name of their father?________________________________________
What were they called and when were they born? __________________________
Where were they baptised?_______________________________________________
7. Between the 1891 and 1901 someone has died. Who is it and when did they die ?
8. Between the 1901 and 1911 census someone has died. Who is it and when did they die?
9. Name someone that appears in the 1911, 1901 & 1891 census returns with her?
Who is he?_______________________________________________________________
Do you think they are related?_____________________________________________
10. What occupation links the woman of the household to the men in her life?
11. Can you find out when this woman died?
Date ____________ Age _____ District ______________ Vol ________ Page _______
12. Based on all the information that you have now found out. Can you create a 3 generation family tree for her?
Note: You may have discovered further information about this family during your research. Please add any other names and dates to this family tree that you have found.
How do I do this: You will need access to a computer. You will also need to be able to visit either Clayton House or your local library in order to access findmypast free of charge. If you wish to view these records at home they will be pay per view.
Note: If you wish to do this challenge and are unable to get to Clayton House or your local library please contact the Explorer Team. Your 3 generation family tree can either be computer generated or hand drawn.